Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

21 Random Things About Me

I am currently reading through the book, Chocolatherapy: Satisfying the Deepest Cravings of Your Inner Chick, by Karen Scalf Linamen with a fabulous group of women that attend a group I lead called, Girls' Night Out.

In the chapter of the book we read this week entitled, "Visibility," the author discusses her decision to discover more about herself by putting together a list of 21 Things about herself. I highly encourage you to do this. It's truly amazing how much we lose ourselves and our identities along the rocky road of life. It's really easy to do, especially as women, with all of the different roles we play- think: wife, mom, team mom, businesswoman, carpool driver, volunteer, etc. With that, I have decided to share my list with you all. Hopefully you'll learn a little something about me and allow it to inspire you to learn a little something about yourself!

1. I love reading, especially with/to my kids. Love our regular trips to the library, daily reading and daily devotion time.
2. I love fresh flowers in my house, although I don't have them often. The best are the ones I have grown myself in my garden.
3. I love animals- I have 2 amazing dogs & 2 horses. I used to think I wanted to be a vet or work in a zoo when I grew up. Now I've realized I LIVE in a zoo sometimes.
4. I've learned a lot about life and have had some of my best ideas & conversations with God while shoveling crap err... I mean, mucking out my barn.
5. I could spend hours reading and studying the bible. It's my favorite book. I'm like a sponge: always ready to soak up its words of life and knowledge so that I can pour it into my life and the lives of others.
6. I relish alone time and have been known to get up (or stay up!) at ungodly hours to make sure I have it regularly.
7. I enjoy working with my hands whether it is to build, cook, or garden. I think I really just enjoy creating... not just that, but I love to give away whatever I create.
8. I have a fetish for graphic design. I love designing logos, flyers, ads, etc. I'm not sure where this came from, other than the idea mentioned in #7.
9. My husband and children are the biggest blessings I have ever received- all 4 were unexpected (yes, including my baby who has preceded me in going to heaven!)
10. I have a fetish for names. I love the meaning of my own & how it relates to my life and identity. I also love learning about the meaning & history of the names of others as well. I read the Baby Names Book from cover to cover- twice.
11. Recently, I've rediscovered my affinity for the warm glow of candlelight (especially on a blustery day) and classical music. SO relaxing and calming.
12. I am a recovering workaholic with perfectionist tendencies. 'Nuff said. I'm sure that doesn't surprise any of you...
13. I find it difficult to contain &/or purge clutter- mostly because of my disability to accurately differentiate what's really worth holding onto.
14. I like to write but put off doing it because I don't feel that I do it well- I really have to work at it and the process of working at it frustrates me to no end. Like I said, I've got those pesky perfectionist tendencies...
15. I have the most amazing family, including all of my in-laws... they support me, love me, pray for me... I really am SO blessed.
16. I love soaking in a hot bath but can never seem to stay in for more than 10-15 minutes- can't decide if I can't handle the heat for that long or being faced with my (fat) birthday suit for that long. I've discovered a nice 'blanket' of bubbles helps with the latter.
17. I have a pretty all-consuming passion to achieve a purer, simpler way of life. This includes eliminating toxins in my physical, mental, & spiritual health (and my household's). I could write a book on this journey... and I had planned to until my perfectionist tendencies got in the way.
18. I love seeing lives changed by the message of the gospel and by the fruit of faith. I love hearing stories of personal challenges & obstacles being overcome- especially those told by women.
19. I love my hair- not in a vainglorious type of way, but because I have finally found a hairstyle that fits my lifestyle... thanks to my amazing stylist!
20. I dream of traveling the world someday... there are SO many beautiful places I'd love to see and experience firsthand.
21. I am also a recovering Facebook-a-holic... it is my calorie-free, yet unhealthy substitute at times, that aids me in my craving for 'escape' and 'community.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation and leave a comment!